Bands / Artists
If you have any demo CDs, books, DVDs, or anything that you would like us to take a look at, they can be mailed to us. To request our mailing address, contact Damien Monaco.
Writers / Photographers
We are always looking for people to submit content for Perpetual Toxins. Unfortunately, at this time, we cannot afford to pay for submissions.
We accept articles covering a wide range of content. This Web site is about arts and entertainment on Long Island and in New York City. As long as your article falls into that category and is written to professional standards, it will more than likely be used.
To be more specific, we are looking for the following content: articles about people and businesses from this area (local bands, art galleries, film festivals, museums, just to name a few). Exceptions to this would include a show review of a band playing on Long Island but is from elsewhere, or an art exhibit occurring in New York City featuring an artist from a different state. These would still be relevant because it informs our readers about events occurring around them that they might be interested in checking out. These articles could be reviews of events, interviews with the people involved, CD reviews of local bands and so forth. We also accept creative works, including short stories and poems, written by local people.
We rarely ever assign people to cover certain things. We prefer that people think of their own things to write about. This is done because it gives a wider variety of coverage. There are many things going on that we do not know about. So, if there is something you want to write about and think people would find interesting, go for it. Help inform your community of what is going on around them.
Articles should be at least 250 words, depending on what the article is about (CD reviews tend to be on the smaller side and that is OK). Articles should also not be too long; people generally don't like to read things that are way too long, especially if they can have the same message and impact when condensed.
To submit content, email Damien Monaco with the article attached as a Word (.doc) document. Please include photos if relevant. You can also contact Damien with any ideas you may have for an article, whether you want to write it or think we should.
The following are some style guides to keep in mind when writing for us (we try to follow AP style):
- Album titles, newspapers, magazines, movie titles, play titles, etc., should all be written in italics (not with quotes). Song titles should be written with quotes.
- Dates should be written as Saturday, Oct. 3, 2009. And obviously the following months are never abbreviated because that would be silly: March, April, May, June and July.
- Times should be written as 7 p.m. or 7:30 p.m. (not 7:00 PM). Also, 12 p.m. and 12 a.m. are written as noon and midnight.
- States are abbreviated as NY (not N.Y.).
- If photos are included, captions are needed.
- Nothing (except creative pieces) should be written in first person. On occasion, it may happen and be necessary, and that is fine.
Perpetual Toxins © 2006-2012. All rights reserved.